Your domain name is your address on the Internet. It helps your customers find you online.
I recommend using a service separate from your website hosting for your domain. I personally use Hover and highly recommend them. There are other domain registrars that are cheaper, but I have really liked the customer service and ease-of-use at Hover.
Need help choosing your domain name?
Check out this great article from the fine folks over at Moz.com: How to Choose a Domain Name.
My biggest advice is please, please, please, do NOT use a hyphen or odd spelling in your domain name. Think about how you will be saying it to customers on the phone. Trust me. You do not want to have to keep telling customers where the hyphen is in your domain name.
If you want to know a little bit more about the technical side of domains and best practices, read SEO best practices for domains (scroll down on the page for that section).
Some Reasons You Will Love Hover
- Simple & straightforward domain management experience.
- Best-in-class phone, chat and email support.
- Free domain privacy to protect your contact information.
- Hundreds of domain extensions.
- Automatically connect to many popular web hosts in seconds.
- Freedom to connect to any web host or site builder.
- Domain forwards and mailboxes.
- Powerful domain management tools.