You will need two things to get started with a website:
- You need a website domain. This is the address of your website on the Internet.
- You need a website host. This is where your site’s files are kept on the Internet.
If you have not yet created a website domain, please read this article first — Setting Up Your Website Domain
If you have already created a website domain, then continue reading.
There are many different options for web hosting. Not all web hosts are created equal. You will want a host that specializes in WordPress hosting, has solid support, easy-to-use tools, and a good price.
For small- to medium-sized business websites, I recommend SiteGround.
I host my own sites with SiteGround and have been very impressed with the service and support.
It is easy to create an account and quickly start building and editing your website. If you have an existing site, SiteGround will transfer you from your current host to their servers for free on the GrowBig and GoGeek plans.
To get started, click on the link below and follow the instructions:
1. Choose Your Hosting Plan
Siteground has three plans to choose from. The StartUp or GrowBig plans are the most likely choices for small to medium-sized businesses. If you are not sure which plan to choose, just ask me and I’ll help you pick the right one.
- The StartUp plan is perfect for people with one website that are starting now
- The GrowBig plan is a great value for money offer, including the option for multiple websites and the SuperCacher that greatly improves a WordPress and Joomla website speed
- The GoGeek plan is perfect for people with e-commerce and larger sites, or more geeky development needs like staging and GIT integration
Step 2. Choosing Website Domain
Please read this article first before completing Step 2 — Setting Up Your Website Domain
Choose to sign up with an existing domain (because you followed my advice and setup your domain with Hover or have an existing domain).
Step 3. Review and Complete
Review your hosting services. Chicago is fine for most for location.
SiteGround offers a 30-day money back guarantee on all plans.
Please note that the price for the plan is a 1-year introductory rate offered by SiteGround. The price increases during your second year of service.
Your choice if you want the SG Site Scanner. I personally do NOT think you need it.
Step 3. Get Your Site Setup and Designed
If you are going the DIY route, install WordPress, pick a theme, and start editing your site.
If you need help getting your site setup so that it is a money-making, customer-creating machine, let me know. I can help.